StudentSpeak : Part III

The following students were member of NSS, IIT Kharagpur central team. Their term ended in April, 2012 and a new student team has taken over. They were not assigned to any specific village / slum but traveled various units to cover MGNREGA awarness camp in one village to caste certificate camp in other or the 150th birth anniversary of Vivekananda in the third etc. Besides, they published NSS Newsletter, maintained NSS website and participated other central activities.


Imbesat Ahmed


During my first year as an NSS volunteer, I was in the literacy group of Prof.P.Guha. I taught students of Kendriya Vidyalaya of IIT campus for few days. Then I started a new study center at Congress Office outside IIT campus. I and Ishan also taught children of cleaning staffs of MMM Hall in my room.

In my second year, my friend Ishan and I took an initiative of teaching students of class 11 of local schools with the co-ordination Prof.G.Saha. For the purpose we conducted a test and also selected 20 students. But unfortunately we could not take more than 4 classes because of unavailability of proper venue. Currently I am a member of NSS Central Team and my job is to write articles for the NSS Newsletter and also conduct interviews of some of the featured groups. Being inspired by the work of NSS, I have been conducting educational workshops for school students in different cities of the country for the last 1 year with Saif and Gyan. This summer I am organizing an awareness drive in rural areas of Bihar and Jharkhand with the co-ordination of respective governments and my team mate Saif and Ishan. I have also designed various workshops on different needs and prospects for creating awareness among students in about 10 cities of India. I  thank NSS to give me a platform to share my knowledge with others and I hope to continue it. 

Ishan Garg

During my frst year I was a part of literacy group of Prof. P. Guha. I was involved in teaching students of Ambedkar club and Disha Seema Centre initially and then moved to teaching children at the Congress centre outside IIT campus where i taught children of mess workers. Me and imbesat also taught children of cleaning staff of MMM hall in our room. We also taught a student naed Imran for AIEEE in last few weeks

During the beginning of second year me and imbesat had prepared a two year schedule to teach students for engineering entrance exams. We had conducted a test and selected 20 students for the same(with the help of Prof. Saha during last weeks of 1st year) but could continue more than 4 classes due to lack of proper venue. During the rest of my 2nd year I have been a part of NSS central team and my job has been to write articles for the NSS newsletter and cover events organised/facilitated by NSS.

This summers I will be a part of awareness drive organized with the help of respective govt. of Bihar and jharkhand for a duration of 25 days. Saif and Imbesat will also be there. After that in June i will be conducting medical camps in village near Bathinda, Punjab my home town with the help of an NGO Seva Bharti which I am a part of. This society organises medical camps for poor and also coducts games and other awareness campaigns in rural areas of Punjab. During my stay in NSS for past 2 years I have learnt a lot and I am happy to contribute on my behalf for the betterment of the society.

Saif Khan

During my first year, I was in Prof. N.D. Pradeep Singh’s group and the primary job of our team was to teach students of class 1-4 in Kasturba School in Balrampur Village. We taught the kids English, Maths, GK etc. and tried to be as interactive as possible irrespective of the communication problem. In my second year, I was fortunate enough to be selected in the NSS Central Team. Currently my job is to write editorials for the Newsletter and also to conduct interviews of the best performing NSS groups for the same. Our team is also involved in helping the Program Coordinator to the best of our capability as and when he needs us in various activities. Being a part of NSS, I not only realized the urgent need to do something meaningful for our society but the experience also brought a better person out of me. I look forward to continue my association with NSS in future.

Krishnakant Sijariya

During the first year, I was part of the NSS Group under Prof. S.S. Das. Our main duty was to teach the kids of the Kashijora Primary School where we closely monitored the progress of the students and made our best efforts to promote their academic performance. During my second year, I have been performing my duty of designing and editing the NSS, IIT Khragpur Newsletter, "Anuraag" as a part of the NSS Central team.

Gyan Prakash

During my first year as an NSS volunteer, I was in the Prof.chandan chakroborty group. I organised quiz comptition and drawing comptition in gholgoria village.  I was also  part of a team which surveyed the village gholgoria. in my 2nd year i was in the nss central team . I had covered all the event as a Nss Photographer . I had collected all the data from many villages , Soladhar, Talbagicha was few of them.

M Vivek Reddy

In my first year , I was part of Prof.Sudip Mishra's group. I was part of a team which surveyed the village 'pariapara'. I have prepared a presentation on health and hygiene to show to the students of primary school. I was part of a team which conducted various competitions .drawing etc., also we distributed sports material and stationary items to the primary  school students.. In my second year I have mainly updated the NSS website, covered MGNREGA awarness camp at Soladahar village etc..

Comments